Ever since Myschievia*, I’ve felt like the path I need to follow is clear: Become a Bikram yoga teacher, and follow both my hoop and yoga bliss around the country. Sounds simple enough, right?
Except that Bikram Yoga teacher training is nine weeks long. Which means that to go requires giving up a good chunk of time now with the promise of more freedom later. I looked up the dates of the training, because I want to go as soon as possible.
The teacher training happens April 17th – June 18th of 2011. The problem? HoopPath Retreat, the hoop event I look forward to every year and has literally changed my life, takes place June 16th – June 19th of 2011. Bikram teacher training is in California. HoopPath Retreat is in North Carolina. Opposite sides of the country.
I’ve been lamenting this decision for weeks now. Do I go to teacher training and get my certification, missing HoopPath Retreat or MAYBE making it to one day if I rush right out of graduation? Or do I postpone teacher training until the fall, meaning I’ll spend the months of April and May wishing I was there so that I can be assured a full HoopPath experience in June?
I was talking to my friend and fellow HoopPather Shellie White about this dilemma. What should I do? Should I try to do both? Should I wait until Fall Teacher Training?
And somewhere in the middle of it, I realized, “You know what? How difficult my life must be that I have to make this choice between one really awesome thing and another really awesome thing.” Shellie affirmed my statement with her always wise words: “There is no wrong choice.”
Three years ago, I wouldn’t have been wondering what I should choose between, opportunity or opportunity. I would have been sitting at my cubicle at work, wondering what should I have for lunch, CiCi’s Pizza or a nap? How lucky am I to even HAVE this choice to make?
It can be easy to get bogged down in what seems like a BIG DECISION, when really, it’s just another choice. Everything in life is a series of choices, you are where you are because of the choices you’ve made. As for me, I still haven’t fully decided yet, but I know that whatever I choose, it won’t be the end of the world. Either choice will be an awesome adventure and something to look forward to, and I am grateful for either outcome. Bring on the future!
*A local regional burn